With a partnership of 6 different groups, the Roam New River Valley bike share has launched and been feted with an inaugural ride from the New River Valley Mall to the Blacksburg Farmers’ Market.
There was a turnout of 50+ people to celebrate from community members to bike enthusiasts to elected officials. At the pre-ride ceremonies, the dignitaries of each partner spoke for a few moments and each had a unique viewpoint to share about how this bike share program will add to the community, meet milestones for quality of life, and generally serve NRV citizens and visitors.
The day’s speakers talked about how bike share adds to a community’s quality of life with the addition of a transportation option, a way to get around on daily errands and experience the region’s cultural and recreational assets without relying on a car. Obviously, these features also make bike share an amenity for our region’s visitors, a feature that invites them to explore at their own speed.
- Mike Barber, Mayor, Town of Christiansburg
- Leslie Hager-Smith, Mayor, Town of Blacksburg
- April de Motts, Supervisor, Montgomery County
- Sherwood Wilson, Vice President for Operations, Virginia Tech
- Chris Arabia, Manager of Mobility Programs, Department of Rail & Public Transportation
- Megan McNamara, Mobility Manager, Gotcha Bikes
- Allen McWhirt, Roam NRV General Manager, Gotcha Bikes
To prove the points made, the group took a ride on the bright orange roam NRV bikes (and some brought their own bikes to join in the fun) down the Huckleberry Trail with some ending a gentle ride at the Merrimac trailhead and others continuing on to the farmers’ market in Blacksburg. The weather held out for a sunny and comfortable trip and a great kick-off to program sure to become an asset to the community.
To date, the bike share program has:
- 314 new signups
- 445 overall trips
- 1241 total miles
- 305 hrs total time traveled (12 days, 17 hrs)
- 1094 Carbon reduced (vs driving)
- 49629 calories burned
For more information, or to sign up for ROAM New River Valley, visit: gotchabike.com/RoamNRV
Photos from ROAM NRV Inaugural Ride:
Facebook Live Video from ROAM NRV Official Launch: