CAP has two permit programs to fit your commuting needs: Carpool Programs and Bike, Bus, & Walk (BB&W). Visit the VT CAP page for more info.
– I-81 Exit 118
– I-81 Exit 94
– US 460 and Route 808 (near Pembroke)
– Route 100 and Route 660 (Staffordsville)
– Hooptie Ride
– Smart Way Bus
(more about Guaranteed Ride Home)
– View the Interactive Map
Interested in starting or joining a carpool?
RIDE Solutions has made finding carpool partners easy. Our member database includes people who are interested in carpooling, as well as information on their origin/destination points, work schedule, and preference for driving, riding, or alternating. Still not sure carpooling is for you? Check out our Commute Calculator to see how much you could save with carpooling – you may be surprised!
Being without a car during the day doesn’t mean you’re trapped in your office. Use the biking and walking map to identify how you can get around on foot or by bike in Blacksburg for lunch, errands, and meetings.
How do I get a carpool started?
RIDE Solutions has made finding carpool partners easy. We maintain a database of people who are interested in carpooling, as well as information on their origin and destination points, their work schedule, and preference for driving, riding, or alternating. Think no one around you carpools? Check out our Commuter Map and see. It has the general starting point every carpooler in our database.
Once you’ve got your match list from us, there are a couple of ways you can organize your carpool:
- One person can be the designated driver, while riders chip in for gas each week.
- Carpoolers can take turns with driving duties – switching day to day or week to week. This way, no one vehicle takes the brunt of all the driving.
- Because many of our members prefer to do all the driving, carpooling is even a option for folks who don’t have a car. Just pitch in for gas, and you’re good to go.
- You can arrange carpools with folks in your immediate neighborhood, or use one of the area’s park-and-ride lots to meet other commuters and carpool to your final destination.
Once you’ve started your carpool, check out our handy Guide to Successful Carpooling to make sure you avoid some of the common pitfalls that can cause carpools to fail.
Change Your Perspective
Virginia Tech is proud to sponsor the Change Your Perspective campaign.