The Bike Shorts Film Festival features shorts films produced by local, national and international filmmakers featuring bicycles, bicyclists, and bicycling in interesting, creative, and surprising ways. From music videos to zombie movies, the Bike Shorts Film Festival highlights some of the incredible creativity that southwest and central Virginia has to offer.
DEADLINE FOR 2016 SUBMISSIONS HAS PASSED!
If you missed this year’s deadline, have no fear, you can still submit and be entered for the 2017 Bike Shorts Film Festival.
Submitting your film electronically is preferred. We accept films via Dropbox or any cloud service, and can provide FTP access to upload a film to ridesolutions.org. You may make arrangements for digital delivery of your film by contacting us via email. When submitting your film electronically, you must include a completed and scanned copy of the entry form with your submission, or complete and mail the entry form separately. Submissions will not be considered for screening or awards without a completed entry form.
You may also submit your film by mail on CD, DVD or flash drive. Mailed submissions will not be returned and must include a completed entry form. Address all submissions to:
Bike Shorts Film Festival
c/o RIDE Solutions
P.O. Box 2569
Roanoke, VA 24010
Please include a copy of the registration form along with your submission.
For 2016 we will have five prize categories:
- Juried Prize, $300: Best overall film, selected by a panel of judges drawn from the regional arts and film community.
- Best Local Film, $300: Best film submitted by a team from within the RIDE Solutions service area, selected by a panel of judges drawn from the regional arts and film community.
- Best Original Music, $300: Must feature an original song or piece of music, featured either as a stand-alone music video or as an original score. This category will also be selected by our panel of judges.
- People’s Choice, $100: The audience favorite, selected at the end of each Bike Shorts Film Festival screening. (4 total)
- YouTube Prize. $100: All submissions will be posted to our Bike Shorts Roanoke YouTube channel. At the end of May, the film with the most views will be awarded this prize.Note: We use YouTube’s video counts to score this award. YouTube’s algorithm for what counts as a “view” is not made public, but an explanation for what does and does not tend to count can be found here. In brief, YouTube does its best to count legitimate views by unique users, so tactics like constantly refreshing a video, multiple views a day by the same person, views after clearing your cache, and related actions are unlikely to increase your views significantly.
Follow us here on ridesolutions.org or keep up with our Facebook page for more info on prizes and prize categories.
2015 Bike Shorts Selections
Visit our YouTube channel for all past selections and winners. Maybe you’ll be inspired!